A dogfight between the North American F-86 Sabre and the Mikoyan Gurevitch MiG-15 Fagot9 January 2023
Fighter pilots and the artificial intelligence11 January 2023
Sukhoi is a Russian aerospace company best known for its fighter aircraft. Founded in 1939, the company produced aircraft for the Red Army during World War II, and continued to develop new fighter aircraft during the Cold War. Today, Sukhoi is one of Russia’s leading manufacturers of combat aircraft, and its planes are used by many countries around the world. It has also developed commercial and business aircraft for civilian use.
Discover the history and innovations of Sukhoi, Russia’s leading aerospace company in the production of high-performance, reliable and robust combat and commercial aircraft.
The history of Sukhoi
Sukhoi is a Russian aerospace company that was founded in 1939. It is best known for its fighter aircraft, but also produces commercial and business aircraft.
Sukhoi’s history dates back to World War II, when the company began producing aircraft for the Red Army. During the war, it produced aircraft such as the Sukhoi Su-2, a light bomber used for reconnaissance missions, and the Sukhoi Su-6, an assault bomber.
After the war, Sukhoi continued to develop new combat aircraft, including the Sukhoi Su-7, a ground attack aircraft, and the Sukhoi Su-9, a jet fighter. These aircraft were used by the Red Army during the Cold War, but were gradually replaced by more modern aircraft.
In the 1970s and 1980s, Sukhoi developed the Sukhoi Su-27, a jet fighter that is still used today by the Russian Army and other countries. This fighter is known for its exceptional maneuverability and its ability to perform acrobatic maneuvers.
Sukhoi has also developed a number of other fighter aircraft from the Su-27, including the Sukhoi Su-30, a multi-role fighter, and the Sukhoi Su-35, a long-range jet fighter.
In addition to producing combat aircraft, Sukhoi has also developed commercial and business aircraft such as the Sukhoi SuperJet 100, a short-range regional jet designed to carry up to 100 passengers.
Sukhoi is a historic Russian aerospace company that has developed several models of combat and civil aircraft, is one of the leading Russian companies for the production of combat aircraft and continues to expand into the civil aviation fields.
Sukhoi’s iconic aircrafts
Here is a list of some of the most important aircraft produced by Sukhoi, with a brief description of their function and advantages:
Sukhoi Su-27: This long-range jet fighter was designed to replace existing Soviet fighter aircraft. It is known for its exceptional maneuverability and ability to perform acrobatic maneuvers.
Sukhoi Su-30: This multi-role fighter is based on the Su-27 and was designed to perform air combat, ground attack and reconnaissance missions. It is equipped with advanced navigation and communication systems and can carry a wide variety of weapons.
Sukhoi Su-35: This long-range jet fighter is equipped with thrust vector engines and advanced electronic warfare systems. It is designed to perform air combat and ground attack missions, with a large weapons-carrying capability.
Sukhoi Su-57: The fifth-generation fighter is the company’s newest and most advanced fighter aircraft, equipped with stealth technology and long-range weaponry. It is designed to perform air combat, reconnaissance and air defense suppression missions.
Sukhoi SuperJet 100: a regional short-range aircraft designed to carry up to 100 passengers. It is equipped with turbofan engines and a modern cockpit and is designed to be economical to operate and environmentally friendly.
Sukhoi Business Jet: A business aircraft designed for long-distance flights, for up to 12 passengers. Equipped with a private lounge, dining room, bedroom and modern entertainment facilities, it is intended for high-end and most demanding customers.
In general, Sukhoi aircraft are known for their outstanding performance, reliability, robustness and ability to perform a wide variety of missions. They are used by many countries around the world for both military and civil purposes.
Sukhoi has brought many innovations to the world of military aviation over the past decades. Here are some of the company’s most important contributions:
- Development of long-range jet fighters: Sukhoi fighters, such as the Su-27 and Su-35, were designed to replace existing Soviet fighters. They are known for their exceptional maneuverability and ability to perform acrobatic maneuvers. These aircraft have been exported to many countries around the world, becoming a symbol of the Russian Air Force.
- Multi-role fighters: The Su-30 was developed to perform air combat, ground attack and reconnaissance missions. It is equipped with advanced navigation and communication systems and can carry a wide variety of weapons.
- Fifth generation aircraft: The Su-57 is the company’s newest and most advanced fighter aircraft, equipped with stealth technology and long-range weapons. It is designed to perform air combat, reconnaissance and air defense suppression missions.
- Advanced electronic warfare systems: Sukhoi has developed advanced electronic warfare systems for its fighter aircraft, including electronically scanned radars and active defense systems.
- Thrust vector: The Su-35 and Su-57 aircraft are equipped with thrust vector engines, which allow them to perform advanced high-g maneuvers and improved maneuverability.
Sukhoi has been an important player in the development of modern military aviation, offering high-performance, versatile and innovative combat aircraft with advanced technologies that have been adopted by many countries.
We are the specialist in fighter jet (Fouga Magister, L-39, Hawker Hunter, MiG-29, Mirage III…)
Discover our fighter aircraft encyclopedia.